- 1/4 of a cup of butter
- 1/4 of a cup of solid white vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 lbs of ricotta
- 2 tablespoons of flour (optional)
- 1 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest (grated lemon peel)
- 1/2 teaspoon of orange zest (grated orange peel)
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup of semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1/2 cup of diced citron
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
Prepare crust – cut shortening into dry ingredients, until mixture resembles small peas. Add eggs, mix together until smooth, and all flour is absorbed. Refrigerate dough for about 1 hour.
Roll out on lightly floured surface to 1/8 in thickness. Place dough in 10 in pie plate, and crimp around edge. Refrigerate dough while preparing filling. Save scraps of dough for crisscross topping on pie.
Prepare filling – beating ricotta with sugar, add flour, salt, and zests. Beat until smooth. In a separate bowl, beat eggs for 5 minutes, until thick, and lemon colored. Fold eggs into ricotta. Add chocolate, fruit, and seasonings.
Roll out remaining dough to 10″x2″. Cut with sharp knife into 6 10″ strips 1/3″ wide. Carefully weave 3 strips across the length of the pie, and 3 strips across its width over the filling. Bake at 350º for 60-75 minutes, until the top is slightly brown. Test by poking center with fork, or toothpick, which should come out clean.