The classic bananas Foster recipe is said to have been created at Brennan’s Restaurant in New Orleans, Louisiana, in hair of on of their regular customers, Mr. Richard Foster.
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 4 ripe bananas, peeled and halved lengthwise and crosswise
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup light or dark rum, or to taste, warmed
- 4 scoops Vanilla Ice Cream – alt sub French Vanilla
Melt the butter in a skillet, add the brown sugar, and heat the mixture, stirring, until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add the bananas and sauté them 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until tender. Sprinkle the bananas with the cinnamon. Pout the warmed rum over the bananas, ignite it, and baste the bananas with the sauces until the flames are extinguished. Divide the ice cream among dessert plates, top each portion with a banana, and baste with the sauce.