- 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of white sugar
- 1 1/4 cups of milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons of melted butter
The Twist – which can vary depending on what you have available, or what you’re craving! Below are some ideas to add on. Try one item, or multiple at once!
- Sub 1/2 cup of the flour with protein powder. I love the chocolate, and the kids love the berry
- Lemon zest (thanks uncle Thom), it adds a nice flavor, and lightens up the cakes
- 1/2 cup of berries – mixed, strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, or whatever is fresh in your area
- 1 banana, cut in two long ways, and then sliced
- Chocolate syrup, or coco-powder
- Strawberry syrup
- Chocolate candy: from kisses, to M&M’s, to broken up candy bars. They are all great sugar bombs for the littles.
- Spices: Pumpkin spice, Cinnamon
- Extract: 1 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla, almond
In a large mixing bowl, sift in the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Then slowly add in the milk, egg, and melted butter. Mix until you have a smooth constancy.
Heat up pan, or griddle to medium/medium high. Lightly oil, or spray with your favorite nonstick spray. Pour batter, in small batches onto hot surface. Flip once bubbles appear. Brown on both sides, serve hot with maple syrupy, or agave.
Note: if adding in sprinkles, or smaller candy: don’t add into the batter, as they will just disappear, and turn the batter a different color. I prefer to drop on top, after pouring batter onto surface.
Don’t have all the ingredients, have a mix, but want to jazz it up? Try sparkling water, or lemon lime soda in place of water. Then add in some the items listed as a twist!