- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 lb of Italian sausage (I prefer spicy, but sweet is good too)
- 8 oz of mushrooms, sliced (wild, shiitake, or even baby portabellas)
- 2 cups of rice – uncooked
- 1/4 cup of red wine
- 3 cups of water (can sub for stock, which is much better)
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 1/4 cup of grated cheese
Over medium heat, melt butter in sauté pan, add onions, and sausage (sliding out of casing, in small clumps). Cook until lightly brown. Add in mushrooms, allow them to brown. Add rice, and then wine, stir. Season with salt and pepper, allow wine to cook off. Add water, and stock, then stir. Lower heat, place lid on pan. Stirring occasional. Add in grated cheese once liquid is almost gone. Season to taste.
Garnish with more grated cheese, and enjoy while hot.
- Omit cheese
- Sub sausage with meatless meat (I understand that Trader Joe’s Beef-less Ground Beef is very good)
- Sub chicken stock with vegetable stock
- Sub butter with olive oil.
Risotto dishes often are the start of the show. However, even thought they make for a great entrée, they can also be an incredible side dish!