“Classic Italian dessert made with ladyfingers and mascarpone cheese.”
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 1/4 cups mascarpone cheese
- 1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream plus two tsp. sugar
- 2 packages (of 12) lady fingers
- 1/3 cup Sambuca (white)
- 2 cups espresso
unsweetened cocoa powder, garnish chocolate curls, or cinnamon – optional
- Combine eggs yolks, and sugar in the top of a double boiler, over boiling water. Reduce heat to low, and cook for about 10 minutes, sitting constantly. Remove from heat and whip yolks until thick and lemon colored.
- Add mascarpone to whipped yolks. Beat until combined. In a separate bowl, whip cream to stiff peaks. Gently fold into yolk mixture and set aside.
- Add Sambuca to the coffee and dip the lady fingers into this mixture. Line the bottom of shallow glass baking pan with lady fingers. Spoon half of the cream filling over the lady fingers. Repeat with another layer of dipped lady fingers and top with cream filling. Garnish with cinnamon or cocoa and chocolate curls. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
Makes 10 to 12 servings